Tuesday 25 March 2008

Trip to Skye

With my writing bones aching, I'm just posting photos for awhile. And making the most wonderful chicken masala you can imagine. Yesterday I took a trip to the Isle of Skye with JP. It was a long day, punctuated by sudden snow storms and showers. At one point hail pounded down, tiny ice stones bouncing off the road like riderless space hoppers, before being swept by the wind's invisible palms into a great, swirling dance.
Before we got to Skye we drove past Eilean Donan Castle, which I think must create one of the best views I've ever seen. It just stands stoically, a beacon to romantic hearts everywhere.
A trip to Skye wouldn't be the same without going for Fish and Chips at the chip shop in Portree. It's down there in one of those colourful buildings.
I had wanted to see the Old Man of Stor, the famous remains of a volcanic plug. With the weather closing in, hiking up to the "erection rock" (as I affectionately called it) was not an option, and the one time I did attempt a jaunt through a "field" to get the best photo angle I could, I ended up with soaked feet. There are no fields in Scotland. Just bogs that look like fields.



A long day, a cold day, but a good day.

No comments: