Monday 19 January 2009

This play is indeed badly cast

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Wilde action figure... that is what I truly want to be....

Look at his great posture, his faraway glance, his cool cane.

Once upon a time, when I was 17, I was in a car accident and plunged the top of my head through the windscreen, making a hole size of a dessert plate. I live with almost constant tension in my neck and shoulders, which I have grown used to, but sometimes it all goes wrong.

Looking to the left for three hours on Saturday night resulted in yesterday's blooming headache and today's understanding that my skull has been replaced by one of those giant metal balls they strap onto cranes and swing into the walls of old houses. Oh, I hope my head doesn't escape from my body, and yet at the same time I hope it does, because this cranium is one weighty son of a bitch. I'm going back to bed.

P.S. Always wear your seatbelt. Always.

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

I had no idea about the car crash, that must have been horrific.

Fingers crossed that the pendulum stops swinging soon.

C.S. Perry said...

Drink more whiskey and re-read the "Importance of Being Earnest."

Maybe that will help...and it certainly couldn't hurt.

Dale said...

Oh. Is Clair Davies' Trigger Point Therapy Workbook easily available in the UK?

There's a really good (over 60%)chance that the neck & shoulder tension & the resultant headahces are completely treatable. Car accidents leave that sort of lingering muscular damage all the time, and physicians are completely clueless about it. If you had to be immobilized in a brace or something after the accident trigger points in the neck & shoulder are all but inevitable. And the pain from them rivals any pain from any source anywhere.

The tricky part is that the pain isn't usually where the injury is, which is why I recommend the book -- so you can figure out which muscles to work on. You can do it yourself, easily.

(Or if you want to email me we can probably figure it out pretty quick. It ain't rocket science, but if you don't know a lot of anatomy it's easy to get lost.)

Marcheline said...

African music. Graveyards. Scotland. Kitchen-witching. Loreena McKennit. Writing. Oscar Wilde. Neck injury. Dickens.

At some point I am going to stop being surprised every time I find out something we have in common.