Wednesday 5 August 2009

At the sound of the tuba, begin

Today I spent most of the day moving heavy boxes, walking up long hills over cobbled streets, and counting things into boxes before carrying them again.

I am tired and my hips hurt. I am worried that I will burn out and won't make it through to the end of the month. I had forgotten how physically hard it is, and I doubt my abilities.

And yet tonight I saw a cavalcade of buses roll up Castlehill and onto the Castle esplanade, and it felt like magic all over again. As many times as I ask myself why on earth I do this to myself each summer, I see the scene before me, look around at my colleagues, and am amazed by how truly blessed I am. I work in one of the world's finest cities, and each year am plunged into the heart of one of the best festivals on the planet.

So I may not be around much from now on, other than to post the odd photo (you know I love odd photos). Any festival news and touristy shots will likely be over on my other blog. This blog will remain for incoherent rambling as well as images of my melting brain:
Forgive me if I am absent in comment-land. It is unlikely I will be doing much blog reading over the next month or so. Please stop by once in awhile anyways, as I will likely need all the cyber-hugs I can get.

10 comments:

Cat said...

I suppose that will be most of us soon enough. My children will back in school in two weeks and I'll have more time to work. I'll look forward to your odd ramblings.

Anonymous said...

I can give you a cyber high 5.

Skyclad said...

A visit here is like a vacation. I shall continue to visit.

Rikkij said...

k-see ya ~rick

LDWatkins said...

We'll be here. Please, come back! Didn't know you had another blog. Sending you lots of hugs to help get up those hills! Lynda

Dale said...

{{{Sophia}}}

Louise | Italy said...

Here's a cyber-hug, and thanks for your comment on mine!

Alexandra MacVean said...

So looking forward to hearing about the festival. Exciting! Take it easy and don't overdo it! :)

*hugs*

Zhoen said...

(o)

Lucy said...

That is weird, I had a plaster skull quite a lot like that which I had completely forgotten about until this moment. I think someone won it at a fair or something, then the dog chewed it.